The fastest and most easy way to get rid of blue balls is to have an ejaculatory orgasm. Your testicular pain will fade after that sexual release, and any other symptoms of blue balls should fade away too. Immediate relief shall be yours!
But if you get blue balls while you’re practicing semen retention, nofap, or going through a period of intentional abstinence, you might not want to ejaculate.
The Blue Ball Backstory…
I recently got blue balls while practicing semen retention, and I didn’t want to ejaculate. In the past, the only way I was able to get rid of my blue balls was to ejaculate. I used to really struggle sexually, so many years ago I started a personal journey of sexual mastery that led me down the paths of semen retention and non-ejaculatory orgasms.
After learning those techniques, I never got blue balls again – until this fluke of an experience. It was a gift though, because this time I could experiment with all the techniques I had learned so far. This time, I found a new way to get rid of blue balls without ejaculating, and I’m stoked to share it with you today.
Table of Contents
(Click any link to go straight to that section of this article).
- What is Blue Balls? (Epididymal Hypertension)
- What Causes Blue Balls?
- What Does Blue Balls Feel Like? (Symptoms)
- How Long does Blue Balls Last?
- Common Techniques to Get Rid of Blue Balls
- How to Get Rid of Blue Balls (WITHOUT Ejaculating)
- How to PREVENT Blue Balls
- Other Medical Conditions that Cause Testicular Pain
- Can Women Get Blue Balls Too?
- Take my FREE Semen Retention Challenge
What is Blue Balls? (Epididymal Hypertension)
Blue balls is slang term for a real condition that can occasionally happen for men after sexual activity where they don’t ejaculate. The medical term for this world is “epididymal hypertension.” And apparently there’s some debate in the medical about whether blue balls is a real thing or not. I’ve had blue balls multiple times. It’s very real to me.
The good news is that blue balls is NOT a serious condition, it doesn’t require medical attention, and you won’t get any long-term damage from it.
There are other more serious medical problems we’ll talk about later in this article, but please know that I’m not a doctor. Nothing I say here should be taken as medical advice. I’m a sex coach for men who has done a ton of research and practiced this stuff in-depth, but I’m not licensed in any medical way.
What Causes Blue Balls?
You probably had sex and didn’t ejaculate.
When sexual arousal happens, the blood flow to your penis increases. Your blood vessels expand, and voila! Erection. At the same time, the blood supply to your testicles and entire genital area increases too. Your testicles can actually increase in size by 50% during the peak of your arousal (called vasocongestion).
Blue balls happens when this build up of blood and other fluids is NOT released during sex, and becomes stagnant in your genitals.
Ejaculation normally triggers the release of this excess blood. (It’s the quickest way to do so). But if you don’t ejaculate, and you haven’t done much practice with semen retention, this excess blood can stick around. And when it does, it can become painful.
Tantric, Yogic & Taoist Perspectives
In the Tantric, Yogic & Taoist sexuality systems, arousal is seen as a build up of sexual energy. For most men who haven’t practiced experiencing full-body sexual pleasure or orgasms, this energetic build up stays in their genitals.
This build up creates the pressure/desire to ejaculate, but if that doesn’t occur, the sexual energy can stagnate and create problems (blue balls)
Sounds similar to the physical causes right? The main difference here is that with these traditions, you’re given different practices to actually work with and move your sexual energy. Have you ever heard of the microcosmic orbit, the big draw and the chakras? These are pathways, maps & techniques men can use to integrate their sexual energy (and eventually learn to experience orgasm without ejaculation too).
AND… I’d love to help you with this:
Take My Free 7-Day Semen Retention Challenge
And experience the powerful benefits of this practice for yourself. Commit to not ejaculating for 7 days, and I’ll send you daily lessons & techniques to build and harness your sexual energy for the next 7 days.
*(Check for a confirmation email).
*(Check your email to confirm).
With the right techniques, success can be yours, and you’ll never have to experience blue balls again.
What Does Blue Balls Feel Like?
It’s not fun. You might experience the following symptoms (possibly for an extended period of time):
- pain in your testicles
- an aching sensation in your genital area and/or lower abdomen
- a feeling of heaviness
- physical discomfort (that’s not necessarily painful)
- sexual frustration
- psychological stress
- a feeling of dullness and general stagnation
Supposedly your testicles can actually turn a faint blue tint too. I’ve never experienced this though. I’ve heard any of my clients say this either…
How Long Does Blue Balls Last?
This depends on the level of build up and stagnation in your sexual organs. You might only have a slight build up that results in minor pain that lasts just 30 minutes. Or, you might have a major build up that’ll give you blue balls for a long time. It can last for hours or even days if you don’t do something about it.
My personal experience is that once the pain of blue balls begins, it keeps going until I do something about it. In the past, I would just ejaculate as quickly as possible. Now, I have a new technique that works wonders, and I’m stoked to share it with you below.
Common Techniques to Get Rid of Blue Balls
The following techniques are commonly mentioned as the best way to cure blue balls. Some contradict each other, and the only one that has consistently worked for me is #1 – to ejaculate.
- Take a cold shower (to reduce blood flow to the genitals)
- Put an ice pack or cold compress on your genitals
- Exercise: do some cardio
- Exercise: do some heavy lifting (like squats)
- Stretch your legs and groin muscles while breathing deeply
- Distract yourself by focusing on another task (do a creative project or put energy into anything that’s productive)
How to Get Rid of Blue Balls WITHOUT Ejaculating
This will take a little bit to explain. Stick with me – it’ll be worth it.
The technique I recently discovered has been confirmed by a few clients of mine, but it still isn’t proven yet. This technique requires no cold water or lifting of heavy objects, but I’ll warn you, it’s not for the faint of heart. This will only work for men who have serious willpower.
Personal Story: How I Discovered This…
I recently got blue balls for the first time in many years. How? I was sitting at my computer for hours, writing emails and creating a guide for one of my courses. In the middle of my workday, my girlfriend walked in to my office. She looked exceptionally sexy, and we had a 15-minute midday quickie.
I didn’t ejaculate (because I was in the middle of a 21-day semen retention challenge), and as soon as we were done I sat back down at my computer and continued writing. 45 Minutes later, the throbbing began… and I thought “oh shit I have a serious problem.”
If you know me, you know that I teach all the sexual techniques to last as long as you want, have non-ejaculatory orgasms, and never get blue balls. During our 10-minute quickie, I didn’t do any of those techniques. I just got to the edge of ejaculating and backed away. The result? Vasocongestion & pain.
I Didn’t Want to Ejaculate…
Up until that point, ejaculation was the only way I had successfully been able to cure my blue balls. So when it happened to me this time, I was committed to finding a different cure. I tried qigong, yoga, jumping jacks, kegels, testicular massage, pushups, a cold shower, the microcosmic orbit, and stretching while breathing deeply… but nothing helped.
I got discouraged, and started to think that maybe I was going to have to ejaculate and break my streak. *(For the record, I love ejaculatory orgasms, and I encourage them as part of a healthy semen retention practice).
Here’s What Happened Instead
My girlfriend came back over, and we had sex again. This time, as soon as we started being sexual I started doing the sexual energy integration practices that I usually do. I breathed deeply, I did kegels and reverse kegels, and I worked to transmute my sexual energy by using the big draw and visualizing sexual energy flowing through my microcosmic orbit.
And it started to work! I started to feel the relief of pressure in my genitals, and it hit me that arousal (and not ejaculation) was KEY to unlocking my ability to move my stagnant energy. Without getting aroused again, the buildup of blood and energy in my genitals would have stayed locked shut.
TECHNIQUE: The key is to get aroused again WHILE you have blue balls, and do integration practices to relieve the buildup of genital pressure WHILE you experience sexual stimulation.
Steps to Get Rid of Blue Balls WITHOUT Ejaculating
- Get aroused again, either via sex or self-pleasure (masturbation)
- While fully aroused and experiencing sexual stimulation, do the following practices
- Massage your testicles with one of your hands
- Massage your perineum (the area between your testicles and anus)
- Breathe deeply
- Flex and release your buttocks and thigh muscles
- Contract and release your pelvic floor (kegels & reverse kegels)
- Shake and move your entire body
- Visualize/imagine your arousal moving up into the rest of your body from your penis. You can even draw your hands up the front of your body from your penis to your heart, while squeezing your pelvic floor and breathing in. Release and relax on the exhale
- Optional: internally stimulate your prostate while being sexual
Arousal is key, and if you do many of the options above DURING SEXUAL STIMULATION, that will probably be enough to relieve the pressure of blue balls. Check out the success story below.
Blue Balls Recovery Success Story
A client (man) emailed me asking about how to deal with blue balls while doing semen retention. We emailed back and forth, and I shared everything with him that I just shared with you here in this article. He went home, tried it, and then sent me the following email:
“I fucking did it. Thank you so much for the support.
Around noon it got too much. I went home to try some exercises to relieve the pain and if that didn’t work than I would ejaculate. After a few weighted squats while focusing on breath it got better. I went back to work and it came back. Even the weight of my jeans was too much. I came home tonight and just took a shower. I gave myself a prostrate massage and mild stimulation while breathing, then did one round of wim hof breathwork. The pain is almost completely gone and what’s left may be just mental memory as all day it was like I got kicked in the balls. We’ll see what tomorrow brings.
Again your support meant the world to me! Thank you.”
How to Prevent Blue Balls
The best way to stop blue balls is to prevent them from happening in the first place. Blue balls are much easier to prevent than they are to cure. I’ve put together some lists below of things you can do to help prevent blue balls.
These will be especially helpful for you if you’re practicing semen retention. And as a bonus, everything on the list below will improve your sexual performance too.
Actions to Take BEFORE Sex
- Stretch your legs, groin and lower body while breathing deeply
- Massage your testicles and perenium, to increase vitality and the flow of blood in your genitals
- Do a somatic, movement-meditation practice like Yoga or Qigong for at least 15 minutes
- Exercise. Do something to get your heart rate up for a prolonged period of time. That’ll increase the ease of blood flow in your entire body.
- Drink plenty of water throughout your day
Actions to Take DURING Sex
- Breathe deeply & powerfully into your belly.
- Focus on feeling sexual pleasure in all parts of your body
- Let go of any thoughts, plans or fantasies of the instant gratification of ejaculation. Focus on pleasure in the moment.
- Visualize/imagine your sexual pleasure (sexual energy) rising up from your penis and spreading throughout your entire body
- Squeeze and release your pelvic floor (do kegels)
- Massage your testicles & perenium
- Focus on connection with your partner and/or yourself if you’re masturbating
Actions to take IMMEDIATELY AFTER Sex
- Squeeze and massage your testicles firmly (but don’t cause pain). Remember that blue balls comes from a buildup of physical fluids
- Massage your pelvic floor firmly (this can also help release extra blood in the region)
- Squeeze and release your pelvic floor over and over again (kegels)
- While squeezing your balls and squeezing your pelvic floor (doing a kegel), take a deep breath in and imagine you’re breathing your sexual arousal out of your genitals and into the rest of your body. I call this the Sexual Energy Integration Exercise in my Free 7-Day Semen Retention Challenge.
- Do a somatic practice like Yoga or Qigong
- Go for a run (or do any form of cardio)
- DO NOT sit down on a chair and stay still. This creates more pressure in the genitals
- Do anything that’s physically strenuous. Pushups, sit ups, jumping jacks, burpees.
Lifestyle Practices that Help
- Do Yoga and/or Qigong on a regular basis (at least 2 times per week)
- Exercise regularly (cardio at least 2 times per week)
- Regularly stretch your legs, groin and pelvic region
- Learn about the benefits of semen retention
- Take a semen retention training to learn tools & techniques that’ll help
- Start learning how to have an orgasm without ejaculation
Other Medical Conditions that Cause Testicular Pain
Remember that I’m not a doctor. I’m just putting these here for reference so you can increase your sexual health education.
If you’re EVER genuinely concerned for your health and safety, around any medical condition, please seek medical help ASAP from healthcare professionals.
This is a medical emergency in which the spermatic cord that holds your testicles becomes problematically twisted. This causes extreme pain, cuts blood flow to the testes, often causes nausea and vomiting, and requires surgery to fix.
The extreme pain is usually located in just one of the testes, and one of the testes may appear darker in color too. It’s not clear why testicular torsions happen, but apparently this is more common in young men (teenagers), and some men are genetically predisposed to this.
These can cause pain in the pelvic region too, with pain that can feel like it reaches down into the genitals as well. This is a serious health condition too, and it can be extremely painful. My Dad had this once, and I remember him saying it was the single most physically painful event of his entire life. More than breaking bones.
This is a condition where the tube that’s on the back of the testicles becomes swollen. This can happen because of a sexually transmitted infection (STI), or because of a urinary tract infection (UTI). In addition to pain and swelling in the scrotum, with epididymitis it’s common to have a burning pain while urinating, and possibly even a fever too.
There are a variety of causes for this, but one of those causes is actually an improper practice of semen retention. This usually happens when someone just stops ejaculating without doing any sexual energy integration practices to reduce build up & stagnation. In addition to pain in the genitals, Prostatitis can cause difficulty with urination, blood in urine, painful ejaculation, frequent urination, and possibly even a fever too.
Can Women Get Blue Balls Too?
Believe it or not, there is a female equivalent to this. A couple years ago I asked my Instagram audience if any women had experienced symptoms similar to blue balls. Apparently it’s a common phenomenon because I was flooded with responses from women who listed basically identical symptoms to the ones men talk about. I had no idea.
Blue Vulva & Blue Bean
Turns out these are 2 terms for this. Blue vulva and blue bean. Who knew? The more I learn, the more similarities there seem to be with female and male genitals.
I don’t think any of our genitals get a bluish tint when stagnation happens, but I’ll keep my eyes and ears open. Next time you or your lover gets a blue anything, please report back and let me know!
How I Cured My Blue Balls Without Ejaculating
I created this video shortly after I went through the experience I shared with you above. Sometimes it’s helpful to hear someone actually say things, so I’ve included this video here too.
In Closure… Take my FREE Challenge
Blue balls is a colloquial term for a real condition that can cause pain and stagnation in your genitals and other parts of your body too. If you take my FREE 7-Day Semen Retention Challenge, you’ll learn tools to help you integrate and harness the charge that comes from not ejaculating (so you won’t have to experience blue balls again).
Remember these important things:
- Blue balls is not a serious medical condition
- Blue balls does not cause any long-term damage
- The quickest way to get rid of blue balls is to ejaculate
- You CAN get rid of blue balls without ejaculating. Follow the steps above.
- It’s MUCH easier to prevent blue balls than it is to get rid of them once they start
- The benefits of semen retention are real. Try the practice and upgrade your entire life.
- Learning to have an orgasm without ejaculation will change everything about your sex life. It’s worth the investment of time & energy to do this.
Thanks for reading. Reach out to me if you have any questions or need support. I’m a real human over here, and I’ve made it my full time job to help you have the best sex life you can possibly have.